Tips on Trash
- It is a good idea to bag all trash and place it in a closed container to protect it from the weather, insects and animals.
- Debris such as dirt, concrete, rocks, bricks, building materials, sand, gravel and other bulky, heavy materials be contained and collected in small amounts and not weigh more than 50 pounds. Large items such as furniture and tree branches may be placed at the curb for a large item pickup only after scheduling with Public Works.
- Brush and branches need to be cut into less than 10-foot lengths.
- Empty all liquid from containers before putting containers in the trash.
- Make sure children's toys and bikes are not placed near curbside trash.
- Hypodermic needles in the trash pose a health hazard to you, your family and our drivers. Please place old needles, razor blades, or any other sharp object into a hard plastic container with a lid that screws on. Bleach bottles are good choices. Place the tightly sealed container in your regular trash and not with your recyclables.
- Broken glass and mirrors can be put with your regular trash pickup. Please wrap in newspaper and label them for the driver's safety and yours.
- All Recyclable Materials must be placed in a standard Republic Services poly cart to allow for the automated truck to dump the container. Make sure your poly cart is placed out in front and accessible so the driver will be able to reach it with the mechanical arm.
- One 95 gallon recycle poly cart for each single family household is provided free of charge from Republic Services. A smaller 65 gallon poly cart can be purchased from Republic Services. To request a poly cart, please call Republic Services at 303-286-1200 ext. 2194 or 2141.
- Recycling is an automated single stream service which allows you to mix together newspapers, and other paper products (see below), plastic bottles, glass and metal cans in the same bin. They will be mechanically sorted at the recycling center. No non-recyclable trash please.
- Pick-up dates are every other week, on the same day as your trash pick-up. Recycling Program Schedule
- Recycle motor oil and old car batteries at most auto parts and stores.
- To keep your name from being sold to junk mail lists write to Mail Preference Center, Direct Mail Association, P.O. Box 9008, Farmington, N.Y. 11735-9008.
Single Stream Recycling
Republic Services allow for single stream recycling of the following items: (sorting not necessary)
- Paper - Newspapers and other inserts, magazines, junk mail, white and colored paper, posters, post-it notes, manila folder, phone books, cereal boxes without the plastic insert, waxed cardboard milk cartons, corrugated cardboard and chipboard (i.e. tissue boxes) can be put together in one bin. No shredded paper.
- Aluminum beverage cans - Soft drink and beer cans. Aluminum pet food and other cans are also okay, but please do rinse them out first.
- Glass bottles and jars - Food jars as well as beer bottles, soft drink, and wine bottles are fine. You may leave the labels on, but please remove the lids, and rinse food containers. Any color of glass bottle is acceptable. Please do not include any window glass, drinking glasses, ceramics, Pyrex, light bulbs or any glass that is not a bottle or jar.
- Plastic #1 - #7 - Most plastic including soft drink, milk, juice, detergent and shampoo bottles can be recycled. Look for the recycling numbers #1 - #7 on the bottom of the container. An exception would be clam shell food containers such as the styrofoam or plastic to-go boxes which are not accepted at this time. You may leave on any labels, but please remove the lids. Please do not include oil, pesticide or hazardous material bottles. No plastic bags.
Carry Out Service
Republic Services offers a carry out service for any resident who may be physically unable to move their solid waste and/or recyclables to the collection area. In order to accomplish this, the trash and recycle bins must be accessible to the collection driver and cannot be retrieved behind fences, in backyards or in garages. Collection drivers will retrieve the waste and recyclables in the accessible area, empty into the collection vehicle and return the bin to the original area.
The cost for a carry out service from Republic Services is billed annually at a charge of $60.00 ($5.00 per month) and is made payable directly to Republic Services. If a resident qualifies under the American Disabilities Act, no charge for carry out service will be applied.