New Addition Requirements

New Addition to Single Family Residences

The following materials are required with any application for additions to single family residences. Issuance of a building permit for an addition is not assurance that the addition meets the requirements of applicable covenants affecting the property. Therefore, applicants are advised to review all covenants affecting their property.


  • Completed building permit application
  • Valid Greenwood Village contractor's license (OR) Homeowners Statement of Responsibility
  • Two sets of plans
  • Total contract price, including the cost of all site improvements, drainage, architectural, structural, electrical, plumbing and mechanical work, a well as profit and overhead
  • A separate RIght-of-Way (ROW) permit must be obtained for any utility connections within the ROW. If construction is to take place on a state highway, an access, utility, or ROW permit will be required from CDOT
  • Electrical work is permitted and inspected by the City of Greenwood Village; call 303-486-5783 for requirements.


  • Site Plan (two copies), stamped by a registered architect or engineer, showing the following information (only required to be stamped if the addition is greater than 500 square feet in area, or will be closer than 10 feet to a setback line). Additional items may be required (see engineering below)
  • Scale at 1 inch =10 feet preferred (if not possible, 1 inch = 20 feet is acceptable)
  • Property lines showing location of property corners
  • Footprint of all existing and proposed structures, including setbacks from property line
  • If the proposed addition is within 5 feet of the maximum allowed height, height calculations may be required (please see attached "example building height calculation" graphic)
  • Existing and proposed contours at one foot intervals with USGS elevations noted (if height calculations are required)
  • Adjacent streets (with names)
  • Driveways and walkways
  • Courtyard and decorative walls and monuments (including heights)
  • North arrow


  • Site Plan (two copies), stamped by a registered architect or engineer, showing the following information:
    • Retaining walls (including window wells) with top and bottom of wall elevations noted. Walls in excess of 4 feet require a Design Analysis with a Cross Section Detail stamped by a registered architect or engineer.
    • 100-year floodplain boundary (if applicable)
    • Delineate boundaries of any wetlands
    • Perimeter swales with slope noted (2% minimum)
    • Sump pump or foundation drain outfall
  • Temporary erosion control measures
  • Permanent detention/water quality design calculations and drawings. All new development must meet Drainage Criteria Manual requirements. Any development creating more than 10,000 square feet of new impervious area requires a drainage study
  • Additional permits may be required for landscaping or irrigation systems if the work is not included in the Building Permit plans


  • Soils report, stamped and signed by a registered architect or engineer (two copies)
  • Foundation plans, stamped and signed by an engineer or architect (two copies)
  • Construction plans which indicate all work to be performed (two copies). The plans should be drawn to scale with the following information:
    • Dimensions
    • Elevations
    • Name or use of each room
    • Stair rise / run and handrail details
    • Window and door sizes, indicate tempered glazing when applicable
    • Square footage of each floor, garage, outdoor patios or decks, basement
    • Location of water heater and furnace
    • Location of smoke detectors and exhaust fans
    • Roofing materials and roof pitch
    • Framing materials, indication of size, span, species, and grade
    • Engineered framing members (glu-lam beams, steel beams, micro-lam beams, etc.) must be sized by an engineer or architect and the design stamped and signed. (Truss drawings should be provided to the inspector during the framing inspection.)
    • Gas line sizing isometric which indicates the location of the gas meter, length of pipe, diameter of pipe and the BTU/h of each gas appliance
    • A letter of compliance with the energy requirements of Chapter 11 of the I.R.C. or a printed copy of a REScheck analysis (see handout for New Residential Construction Energy Requirements)