Summons & Complaints

A summons and complaint (also known as a citation or a ticket) is the penalty for the least serious criminal and non-criminal offenses. We are not a civil court but a court of municipal jurisdiction and rule on offenses of local ordinance concern. Violations that occur within the Village that are not of the municipal ordinance or concern are directed and heard in County Court. For example, Improper auto registration, vehicle and driver licensing, theft over $2,000, first-degree assault, D.U.I. violations, and other felony charges.


Municipal ordinances are passed to ensure the peace, health, and safety of the Village. Summons and complaint violations involve not only traffic offenses, but also general offense violations such as assault, shoplifting (under $2,000), public drunkenness, disturbances, animal control violations, and others of local concern. Greenwood Village, like most jurisdictions, have decriminalized certain offenses, however, a citation could still result in a jail sentence for some offenses.

The Police Department typically gives citations for such offenses as traffic violations (for example, speeding, parking in a no-parking zone, failure to show proof of insurance or jaywalking). Additionally, the Police Department can issue citations for non-criminal ordinance offenses (such as minors in possession of alcohol and violations of Zoning Codes) which could result in a jail sentence.

After You Receive a Ticket

If the Police Department cites you for an offense, they will issue a ticket to you. You have the option of not contesting the citation by coming into the Municipal Court for arraignment or by accepting a plea bargain if one is offered for the violation. You may pay the violation online, or by signing the waiver on the bottom portion of your ticket and sending a check to the Court.

If you would like to contest your violation you have the right to do so by appearing at your arraignment in Municipal Court. The arraignment date is specified on your summons and complaint violation form. Your right to have your day in court is protected by the U.S. Constitution.

If you are issued a summons and complaint citation the arraignment date is assigned by the police officer. On that arraignment date, you will appear before the Judge and plead your case. To find out what happens on your day in court please see the information found in the What to Expect page.