Building Safety Division - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

If your question is not answered here, please contact the Community Development Department at 303-486-5783 (Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM).

Do I need a building permit?
Commercial and residential remodeling and construction (including but not limited to any additions, structural changes, and garage conversions to houses) require a building permit. Most plumbing, mechanical, and electrical work requires a permit, as well as fences, retaining walls, and landscaping. 

Please contact us at (303) 486-5783 if you need assistance determining whether or not a permit is required. The Building and Planning staff will help determine if a permit is required. If a permit is required, one must be obtained prior to the start of work. Below is a limited list of work that would require a permit.

  • New residential and commercial construction
  • Attached or detached garages
  • Additions to any structure
  • Interior remodeling involving any change or modification/addition to framing or the mechanical, plumbing, or electric system (including service upgrades)
  • Lawn sprinkler / irrigation systems
  • Replacement of cabinets with framing modifications
  • Porches and decks
  • Most concrete or flatwork (including steps, porches, patios) - call for clarificaiton
  • Swimming pools, hot tubs and spas
  • Windows (new and replacement)
  • Accessory structures including sheds and fire pits
  • Fences, dog runs, gates, and entry monuments
  • Changes to existing plumbing fixtures
  • Roofing or repairs to an existing roof (in excess of 100 square feet)
  • Siding
  • Signs
  • Commercial telecommunications equipment including antennae and satellite dishes
  • Temporary uses (tents, portable generators, temporary signs, etc.)
  • Driveways
  • Water heaters, furnaces, or air conditioners
  • Changes to HVAC systems
A permit is generally not required for each of the below when done independently:
  • Painting, carpeting, tile or hardwood floors
  • Changing cabinet faces
  • Replacing cabinets with no framing modifications
  • Changing existing light fixtures (If not being relocated)
  • Changing ceiling tiles
  • Normal installation of household appliances
  • Gutters and downspouts
Why do I need a building permit?
Permits are required by state law to protect owners and the general public. The permit process ensures that the contractor is adequately licensed and that improvements are completed as indicated on the approved plans and in compliance with current building code.

How long does the permit process take?
Once all required elements are submitted with a completed building permit application, the standard plan review timeline is 10 business days. Permits that do not require plan review (RESIDENTIAL ONLY - like for like water heater, furnace, or AC replacement, sewer line repair, etc.) are typically issued within 1-3 business days.
Permit applications with extended review timelines are as follows:
  • Residential single family homes additions: 15 business days
  • Elevator new installations and modifications: 30 business days
  • Commercial Core & Shell: TBD (dependent on complexity)
  • Mid/High-Rise Buildings: TBD (dependent on complexity)
(Timelines refer to receipt of comment letter or permit approval)

How much does a permit cost?
The building permit fee is based upon the total value of the project.

When do I pay for my permit?
Plan check fees for projects valued at $1,000,000 and greater are required to be paid upon application submittal. All other permit fees are due when the permit is issued.

What are the building permit submittal requirements?

Click on the following links to access the required documents:
When does my permit expire?
Projects must commence within six months from the date the permit was issued. Work on the project may not be abandoned for more than six months at a time. Extensions may be requested by submitting a written request to the chief building official.

How do I know if a permit has been issued for construction projects in our neighborhood?

If a building permit has been obtained, it should be posted so that it is clearly visible from the front of the house or commercial project. If no permit is posted, you may call Community Development at 303-486-5783 with the address of where the work is taking place to verify that a permit has been issued.

Do I need an inspection?

Inspections are required as part of the permit process.

How do I schedule an inspection?

Inspections can be requested online by clicking Inspection Request. Please refer to your inspection card and use the exact wording of the inspection you are requesting. Please make your inspection request prior to 4:00 PM for next business day inspection. You may request an AM or PM inspection; however, there is no guarantee.  Check your inspection window the morning of by clicking Inspection Schedule.

How do I submit a balance report?
E-Mail the report to Community Development / or use the Online Services Resubmittal/Revision form on our website Online Services. Please be sure to include the permit number, balance report, and outlet map with the submission. The report needs to be done by a certified balancing company. The electronic report will be reviewed in our office and the approved copy sent to you for printing and made available on site for further inspections.

What is a "Planning Inspection"?
A Planning Inspection is not required for every permit. Should your inspection card have a Planning Inspection noted, a Planner will perform the inspection to ensure the permitted work matches the approved plans with respect to set-backs, height requirements, materials used, etc. Access to the improved area must be available and the permit must be posted and visible; however, this type of inspection can be performed without the Homeowner or Contractor being present.

What is a "Ground Cover" inspection?
A ground cover inspection is performed to ensure the work area is stabilized

Which building codes is the Village currently enforcing?

The City of Greenwood Village is operating under the construction codes listed below as of July 1, 2021:

  • 2018 International Building Code (IBC)
  • 2018 International Residential Code (IRC)
  • 2018 International Fire Code (IFC)
  • 2018 International Plumbing Code (IPC)
  • 2018 International Mechanical Code (IMC)
  • 2018 International Fuel Gas Code (IFGC)
  • 2018 International Energy Conservation Code (IECC)
  • 2018 International Swimming Pool and Spa Code (ISPSC)
  • 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC)
  • 2018 International Existing Building Code (IEBC)
  • ICC/ANSI A117.1-2017 American National Standard - Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities (ANSI)
What are the construction hours?
  • Monday - Friday: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Saturday: 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.
  • Sunday / Holidays: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
How can I obtain building plan copies?
Structural plans for commercial buildings are retained in Community Development. To request information, please submit a Public Records Request. Plans for commercial tenant finishes are retained for one year and residential buildings are retained for six months.

Do I need an asbestos report?
An asbestos report is not required; however, State regulations regarding asbestos must be followed. Please visit the Colorado Department of Public Health website for more information.
Please note: a demolition permit may be required during asbestos discovery or abatement (dependent on the scope of work)