Pharmaceutical Drug Disposal

Prescription Drug Drop Off Locations:

The Greenwood Village Police Department encourages you to take your prescription drugs that you no longer need or are expired to a drug drop-off location.  This effort is focused on removing potentially dangerous controlled substances and other medications from our nation's medicine cabinets throughout the year. 

The Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office has a Drug Drop Box located inside the lobby of their Headquarters Building, 13101 East Broncos Parkway, Centennial, CO.  It is available to the public year-round during normal business hours (Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.), excluding holidays.

Store Safely....Dispose Wisely


  • Store your medicines safely away from children or others who could take your medicine without your permission.  This may mean locking up your medicines.
  • Practice safe disposal by taking unused or expired medicines to a disposal location (such as the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office Drug Drop Box)


  • Flush pills or liquid medication down the toilet or drain.  Flushing pollutes drinking water and potentially harms aquatic life.  Studies have detected medicines in our water supplies.

If you have no other choice...

You can throw away most medicines in the household trash if you follow these steps:

1. Remove medicine from containers and destroy labels to help protect privacy.  Recycle containers.

2. Mix medicine with something that cannot be eaten, such as used cat litter or coffee grounds, to prevent accidental or intentional misuse of medicine by children or animals.

3. Wrap the mixture in newsprint/paper sack or place in a sealable container.

4. Throw in trash on the day your garbage is collected.

Disposing of Sharps and Needles

  • Place syringes and other injectables in a rigid plastic (like an empty laundry detergent) or metal container with a screw-on cap.
  • Place a label/warning on the container (Example: Syringes - Do Not Recycle).
  • Place sealed containers in the trash, not recycling.
  • Or purchase a sharps container at your pharmacy. Your pharmacy may sell pre-labeled, mail-back sharps containers.

For more information, please call 303-773-2525.